The Addams Family is an American animated television series produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and based on the eponymous comic strip characters by Charles Addams. It is the second cartoon show to feature the characters (the first was the 1973 series, also produced by Hanna-Barbera), and ran from September 12, 1992, to November 6, 1993, on ABC. The series' development began in the wake of the successful 1991 Addams Family feature film. Two seasons were produced.
Geared towards children, much of the family's macabre nature was toned down. Unlike in the live-action series, Uncle Fester loves explosives and blowing himself up. In order for the series to fit with other Saturday morning cartoons, plot lines were geared around the family living in the bright, cheerful town of Happydale Heights and facing some kind of threat from a series of recurring villains or individuals who either wanted to force the Addamses from their home or capture one of them (usually Uncle Fester) for nefarious purposes.
The series introduces the Normanmeyer family that lived next door to the Addamses. Norman and Normina Normanmeyer despised them for their lifestyle being an affront to typical suburban living with the exception of their son N.J. Episodes dealing with the Normanmeyers usually involved Norman and Normina, trying to rid Happydale Heights of the Addams Family or spying on the Addams; N.J. is friends with Wednesday and Pugsley, inevitably leading to intrafamilial conflict.
At the end of several episodes, when the conflict was resolved, Gomez usually suggested a family dance. The first suggestion for the dance was usually thrown out because of some weird requirement. Uncle Fester is usually the one to point out the reason the first suggestion should not be accepted albeit. Sometimes, Gomez and Uncle Fester found themselves in a role reversal with Uncle Fester making the suggestion and Gomez pointing out the reason not to follow it. The second suggestion was accepted and there was usually a requirement for that dance too.
- Gomez Addams (voiced by John Astin, reprising his role from the 1960s TV series) – The patriarch of the family and the younger brother of Fester. He is a caring and enthusiastic father and is deeply in love with his wife, Morticia. As a running gag, he becomes excited and romantic whenever she (or he himself) speaks in a foreign language (usually French) or mentions violence or misery. He usually spends his time with unusual activities in the home, mostly accompanied by Fester. Gomez is usually seen wearing a pink suit, unlike his other various incarnations.
- Morticia Frump Addams (voiced by Nancy Linari) – The matriarch of the family. Like her husband, she is very much involved with the raising of her children, and returns the amorous attention she receives from her husband. Her hobbies include art and taking care of the plants. She can be described as a vamp and is commonly seen wearing black gothic dresses. Gomez's nickname for Morticia is Tish. Morticia's catchphrase is, "Oh, Gomez."
- Wednesday Addams (voiced by Debi Derryberry) – The intelligent daughter of Gomez and Morticia and the younger sister of Pugsley. She has low enthusiasm for most activities, and enjoys torturing her brother with dangerous objects, though in a friendly atmosphere. Unlike in other versions, she is the taller of the children. Wednesday wears pigtails and a blue dres, and often carries her headless doll, Marie (which she considers one of her best friends). In "Dead and Breakfast," it is revealed that Wednesday doesn't like anyone touching her pigtails which causes her to unleash her unseen fighting skills on them. In "Happyester Fester," Marie's name is mistakenly given as Juliet.
- Pugsley Addams (voiced by Jeannie Elias) – The son of Gomez and Morticia, and older brother of Wednesday. He is an overweight boy with blond hair, and slightly dim-witted. He has a close bond with his sister, but shows it by terrorizing her (as she also does to him). Pugsley usually wears a yellow shirt with green stripes.
- Uncle Fester (voiced by Rip Taylor) – Gomez's bald older brother with white skin who takes a special interest in blowing himself up. He commonly joins the children with their unusual plans, taking it to the limit, and also spends a lot of his time inventing and creating formulas in the basement lab. Uncle Fester also has a superhero counterpart called Festerman who is the protector of Happydale Heights in the Festerman comics that Uncle Fester writes. Uncle Fester's catch phrase is "Oh darn." A running gag throughout the series is Uncle Fester not believing that Granny has psychic powers. Uncle Fester is allergic to whipped cream.
- Granny Frump (voiced by Carol Channing) – Mother of Morticia, mother-in-law of Gomez's, and grandmother of Wednesday and Pugsley. Granny is a witch with psychic powers, expressed through a crystal ball, which she uses for her own fortune-telling "psychic hotline" business. Granny is always trying to find a boyfriend, but never succeeds. She does not get along well with Fester.
- Lurch (voiced by Jim Cummings) – The blue-skinned butler of the Addams family. He is very tall and strong, which intimidates most guests, although he is in fact sweet. He almost never speaks, and usually responds by mumbling in a deep voice. His catchphrase is "No comment", uttered when witnessing or becoming part of the antics of the rest of the family. Lurch is one of Wednesday's best friends.
- Thing – A pet of the Addamses, Thing takes the form of a disembodied hand. It constantly helps out the family by reaching them objects, and although it lives in a box, can pop up everywhere in the house. Unlike in other versions, Thing has the ability to fly in this series.
- Cousin Itt (vocal effects provided by Pat Fraley) – A cousin of Gomez and Fester; has a body fully covered by hair, and speaks only in gibberish in a high-pitched voice (though other characters can somehow understand it). Although credited in the main cast, Itt is not seen in all episodes, much like in the original live-action series. Cousin Itt is apparently a government agent. Itt and Fester are close.
- Snappy – A shy alligator that lives with the Addams Family. He often likes to eat Fester, though he's also been shown to eat other members of the family (usually out of affection more than hunger), as well as strangers