Ed, Edd n Eddy is a Canadian-American animated television series created by Danny Antonucci and produced by a.k.a. Cartoon, for Cartoon Network. The series, which was Cartoon Network's ninth animated series, was first aired in November 1998. This was also the first Cartoon Cartoon that did not originated from The What a Cartoon Show. Originally, there were only going to be four seasons; however, Cartoon Network ordered two more, giving the series a total of six seasons. It is the longest-running original cartoon on Cartoon Network.
Cartoon Network aired reruns of the series until July 2011, with the last re-run being on July 15th. However, the series briefly returned to the network in October 2012 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Cartoon Network. Reruns officially stopped airing on the network in 2014.
The series revolves around three pre-adolescent boys: Ed, who is slow-witted and often speaks in non sequiturs; Edd, who is usually called "Double D" and is rather intelligent, if high-strung; and Eddy, the avaricious 'leader' of the trio. Collectively known as "the Eds," the three hang around in their suburban neighborhood of Peach Creek Estates, where "the cul-de-sac" is located. Unofficially led by Eddy, the Eds scheme to make money off their peers to buy jawbreakers, but their plans usually fail, leaving them in various predicaments. The characters rarely leave the neighborhood, and no adults are ever seen.
The show frequently makes meta-references and often breaks the fourth wall. Almost every episode contains references to pop culture, especially movies. All the episode titles, are popular sayings with a word replaced with the name "Ed" (e.g., "Stop, Look, and Ed": Stop, Look, and Listen.) Some are also parodies of movie titles (e.g., "For Your Ed Only" = For Your Eyes Only, "The Day the Ed Stood Still" = The Day the Earth Stood Still, "O-Ed Eleven" = Ocean's Eleven, "Mission Ed-possible = Mission Impossible).
The number of characters in Ed, Edd n Eddy is fixed at 12. (13 if you count Plank) No other characters have appeared besides the main cast and adults are never seen. Danny Antonucci has stated that he wanted the show to appeal to any generation. If a VCR is needed in a plot, it is there. In the first episode, Edd used a computer to give Jonny a lie detector test, powered through a toaster. The kids do not have any current modern day technology stuff such as computers or mobile phones. They do have TVs though, but the kids normally go outside to play for fun. However, in the episode Mission: Ed-possible, Rolf is revealed to be failing Basic Computer Applications, meaning the school has computers.
The first 4 seasons took place during the summer. Season 5 revolved around school and took place in the fall. Season 6 was set in the winter. Most of the episodes begin with something completely unrelated to the storyline of the episode. This is to emphasize the spontaneity of childhood.
Ed, Edd n Eddy was animated wholly using traditional cell animation. Most cartoons are now animated using digital ink and paint. It was one of the last major cartoons to use traditional cel animation.
Ed, Edd n Eddy used a moderated version of Squigglevision. The crawling lines are not nearly as active as those in Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist, but are still visible. Much of the unfavorable press that Ed, Edd n Eddy received has been because of this animation technique. However, Danny Antonucci calls it a "wobble" effect, and likens it to cartoons of the 1930s where the film tended to be unstable and cause a similar effect.
Season 5 and Onward
The use of painted cells lasted up to the end of the fourth season. Though the show was still entirely hand-drawn, all cells are colored digitally, since no animation studios paint cels anymore.
For Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show, the show, it was animated in wide-screen format, while the rest of the series is full screen.
According to the interview with Antonucci (a special feature of the Season 1 DVD set), the characters were based on people in his life. Ed, Edd, and Eddy were based on himself and his children, and the cul-de-sac kids were based on people he grew up with. Antonucci also stated that he believed it was important to add Plank to the show; he "thought it would be really cool to do the show with Plank taking on a character of his own" and to cause Jonny to do things he would usually never do. He also stated that Rolf is strongly based on himself and his cousins, since he was part of an immigrant family, and grew up in a first generation foreign household with different customs and ways of life. The kids have multi-colored tongues, because, as Danny Antonucci stated "Kids are almost always eating something that turns their tongues different colors".
''Ed, Edd n Eddy had 134 episodes, 6 seasons, 4 specials, and a movie.
Season 1 began on January 4, 1999 with "The Ed-touchables/Nagged to Ed" and ended on June 11, 1999 with "Button Yer Ed/Avast Ye Eds".
Season 2 began on November 26, 1999 with "Know it all Ed/Dear Ed" and ended on December 22, 2000 with "Fa-La-La-La-Ed/Cry Ed".
Season 3 began on April 6, 2001 with "Wish You Were Ed/Momma's Little Ed" and ended on July 12, 2002 with "Is There an Ed in the House?/An Ed is Born".
Season 4 began on September 27, 2002 with the series' first half-hour special, "If It Smells Like an Ed" and ended on November 5, 2004 with "Take This Ed and Shove It". Season 4 was originally supposed to be the final season til the series was renewed due to popularity.
Season 5 began on November 4, 2005 with "Out with the Old. in with the Ed" and ended on April 28, 2007 with "A Fistful of Ed". The series, again, was supposed to end here but was renewed for yet another season AND a movie.
Season 6 began and ended on June 29, 2008 with "May I Have This Ed?/Look Before You Ed". It was originally supposed to be the usual 13-episode season, but the crew decided to put their focus entirely on the film.
Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show
Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show aired on November 8, 2009 and was the definite end for the series.
Four specials separate from regular seasons aired from December 3, 2004 to May 11, 2007. The specials were: "Ed, Edd n Eddy's Jingle Jingle Jangle" (The Christmas Special), "Ed, Edd n Eddy's Hanky Panky Hullabaloo" (The Valentine's Day Special), "Ed, Edd n Eddy's Boo Haw Haw" (The Halloween Special) and "The Eds are Coming, the Eds are Coming" (A special made for the Cartoon Network Invaded event).
|DVD Name||Release Date||
No. of eps
|May 10, 2005||6||"Sir Ed-A-Lot" "Who, What, Where, Ed" "Avast Ye Eds" 'Know-It-All Ed" "Mirror, Mirror, on the Ed" Hot-Buttered Ed" Bonus features include "Club Ed: The Rules and Regulations" "My best friend Plank" music video,"Planks Perspective" (Description of all kids excluding Nazz), and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy episode "Nursery Crimes."|
|Fool's Par-Ed-Ise||March 21, 2006||6||"If it Smells Like an Ed" "Take This Ed and Shove It" "One Size Fits Ed" "A Case of Ed" "Here's Mud in Your Ed" "Fool on the Ed" Bonus features include a studio tour,"The Plank Family Players," and a behind the scenes look at Ed, Edd n Eddy: The Mis-Edventures.|
Only the first two seasons of the series are available on DVD. As of 2019, the rest of the series was never released on DVD.
|DVD Name||Release Date||No. of eps||Additional Information|
|The Complete First Season||October 10, 2006||13||Bonus features include an interview with the creator, how to make an Ed, Edd n Eddy cartoon, how to draw Eddy, and a Cartoon Network commercial bumper featuring Jimmy and Plank.|
|The Complete Second Season||April 24, 2007||13||Bonus features include "Behind the Eds," the music video "The Incredible Shrinking Day" and How to draw Ed.|
The first 5 seasons and Big Picture Show are available for purchase on ITunes, however, Season 6 and the holiday specials are not available.
The first 4 seasons were available to watch on Netflix from March 2013 to March 2015.
On April 2nd, 2020, the series was confirmed to be available to stream on HBO Max, however, the series itself was not available when the streaming service launched on May 27th, 2020.
Many video games for the series have been produced, including console, online and mobile games.
Ed, Edd n Eddy: Jawbreakers! was the first console game released for the series. It was released for the Gameboy Advance on March 25, 2003, 4 years after the show premiered. The game mirrors Ed, Edd and Eddy's television quest to make money to buy jawbreakers.
Ed, Edd n Eddy: The MisEdventures was the second console game released for the series. It was released for the PlayStation 2, XBox, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube and PC on October 31, 2005. The game follows the Eds through eight levels, referred to as scams, two of which are unlockable via gameplay and using each Ed's special formations and abilities. In between scams, the Eds are free to roam the Cul-de-sac before heading to the next scam marker. Scams can also be replayed infinitely once they are completed.
Scam of the Century
Ed, Edd n Eddy: Scam of the Century was the third and final console game to be released for the series. It was released for the Nintendo DS on October 23, 2007. The plot revolves around Eddy losing his "Who to Scam and When" book and discovers Kevin has stolen it. It is now up to the Eds to rescue Eddy's book.
The Eds have been featured in miscellaneous Cartoon Network video games, including Cartoon Network: Block Party, where Eddy and Sarah were playable characters, Cartoon Network: Speedway, where The Eds and Jonny were playable characters and The Eds were present in Cartoon Network's FusionFall.
Multiple Ed, Edd n Eddy games are available on Cartoon Network's website, including:
- Candy Machine & Candy Machine: Deluxe - You try to connect a path so that the Eds get a Jawbreaker. The deluxe version was a pay to play game, but it is now free.
- Clash of the Idiots - You play as Double D as you wrestle the Kankers in the Masked Mumbler outfit from Season 1's "Tag Yer Ed".
- Cul-De-Sac SMASH - You play all the neighborhood kids as they get into a demolition derby.
- Cul-De-Sac SMASH 2: Wheels of Fury - A sequel to Cul-De-Sac: SMASH.
- Ed Over Heels - You play as Ed, Edd and Eddy as they try to impress Nazz by balancing.
- Lunchroom Rumble - You play as all the neighborhood kids as they get into a food fight at School.
- Spin Stadium - The player can choose to play as either Ed, Edd, or Eddy. The player must control the mouse to move their top left and right. To release the top so it may spin forward, the player must click on the mouse.
- Cartoon Cartoon: Summer Resort - Cartoon Cartoon Summer Resort is an open-world, exploring game, In which you control a character and do various tasks for different characters from Cartoon Network, including the Eds.
- Toy Twister - Objects such as toys, alien action figures, and junk are falling from the sky. Eddy plans to round them up to gain a lot of quarters. He plans to do this by catching the toys that fall before they hit the ground and break by using a skateboard balanced on a platform that is held up by Ed. He has to balance on the platform, maneuver into position to grab toys, and deposit them into the toy box for resale.
- What's Your Eds Name? - You enter your name and you get your Ed name (Either Ed, Edd or Eddy).
- The Ed-Touchables - It is a shooter where you perform objectives to help out the Eds, who are playing in the Junkyard. It is named after the first episode of the series.
- To The Eds-Treme! - It features the Eds on a half-pipe, doing tricks to impress Nazz.
Ed, Edd n Eddy & Cartoon Network
There have been other produced works in which the Eds would appear than just their regular series airings. An oft used style by Cartoon Network is an integration with other shows through cultural references, including "Ed, Edd n Eddy."
There have been many specials in which Cartoon Network would run all day marathons for either a promotion or just a special airing for one of their shows. A marathon called Best Day Edder aired on April 21 and April 22, 2007. Every episode was shown in chronological order, ending with the previously unaired last episode of Season 5. Despite Cartoon Network's dramatization of this being the last episode of Ed, Edd, and Eddy, it was mentioned that there will indeed be a shortened, two-episode season six.
Cartoon Network has also produced bumpers, some involving the Eds during commercial breaks. For a short while, Cartoon Network made a series of roughly 2-minute shorts called Ed, Edd, y Eduardo in which Eduardo from Foster's appeared in an Ed, Edd n Eddy episode. These shorts began airing on July 11, 2006 on Cartoon Network.
The Incredible Shrinking Day
There was a short music video that was part of Cartoon Network Groovies, which featured popular songs and starred cartoons. The video was of They Might Be Giant's "I'm Not Coming In Anymore" with stylized versions of Ed, Edd, Eddy and Sarah, entitled "The Incredible Shrinking Day", which aired on Cartoon Network in 2002 and 2003, in which Sarah used a potion to shrink the Eds to a size capable of playing in her dollhouse, with predictable results. Plank starred in a similar video "My Best Friend Plank" which aired in 2002.
- Cartoon Network Invaded: A special episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy aired on May 11, 2007 in the Cartoon Network event, Cartoon Network Invaded, in which aliens invade Rolf's house. This alien invasion is in adjunct with other Cartoon Network series, such as Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Camp Lazlo, and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. The episode is part a mini-series that aired all 5 specials on May 11, 2007.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show: The series finale of Ed, Edd n Eddy.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy all make a cameo in the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends episode "Eddie Monster" where they are seen listening to a cameo version of Dexter about the imaginary friend inside the crate. The Eds are animated in the Foster's style, rather than their native style.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy made a cameo in a newspaper in the My Gym Partner's A Monkey episode, That Darn Platypus, which aired as part of the Cartoon Network Invaded TV event, along with the Ed, Edd n Eddy special, The Eds are Coming, The Eds are Coming.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy make a brief cameo appearance in the beginning of The Grim Adventures of the Kids Next Door in which Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy calls Eddy.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy make a brief cameo-mention at the end of the Steven Universe / Uncle Grandpa crossover episode, "Say Uncle". Uncle Grandpa checks on his list of which kids to visit and Ed, Edd n Eddy's names are present, implying that Uncle Grandpa had previously seen them.
- Eddy, Jimmy, and Plank appeared in the Villainous episode, The Lost Cases of Elmore.
- Edd made a cameo appearance in the OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes episode, Crossover Nexus. He appeared as one of the Cartoon Network heroes that were summoned and defeated by Strike, the episode's main antagonist. Later, Edd himself appeared as one of Ben 10's transformations to defeat Strike himself. An Ed, Edd n Eddy poster was also shown.
- The Ed, Edd n Eddy series was mentioned in the Craig of the Creek episode, Kelsey the Elder.
Cartoon Network (1999-2009, original-run; 2009-2014, reruns)
Cartoon Network HD (2007-2009, original-run; 2009-2016, reruns)
- The letters "AKA", the abbreviation for the name of the company that produces the show (a.k.a. Cartoon), frequently appear in the show on license plates, magazines, T-shirts, etc.
- The most coveted treat in the show, especially among the Eds, is the jawbreaker. A majority of episodes have used the Eds' quest for jawbreakers as the plot or a sub-plot device. The jawbreakers in the show are noticeably oversized and thus larger than a kid's head. Kids enjoying jawbreakers will have characteristic bowling ball-sized bulges on one side of their cheeks.
- The Eds' names were said in the lyrics of the music video of Big Sean (ft. Drake and Kanye West)'s Blessings.
- It is also the third Cartoon Network original series that was never made by Cartoon Network Studios.
- This is the last Cartoon Cartoon to finish airing
- ↑ https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/ed-edd-n-eddy-season-1/id337382524
- ↑ https://play.google.com/store/tv/show/Ed_Edd_n_Eddy?id=t38dl-5oItY&hl=en&cdid=tvseason-vu95FV46RN0
- ↑ https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were-Mommas-Little/dp/B009XOJSNO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1514586646&sr=1-1&keywords=ed+edd+n+eddy