June 17, 2009
CN Real is a former Cartoon Network programing block featuring live-action reality shows usually on Wednesdays and Saturdays that premiered on June 17, 2009, promoted by rock musician Andrew W.K.. It featured live-action shows such as The Othersiders, Bobb'e Says, Survive This, Dude, What Would Happen, BrainRush, and Destroy Build Destroy.
Network executives and critics expressed concern about alienating Cartoon Network's core audience with this block, which heavily promoted live-action programming over cartoons. The concerns were well-founded, as none of the shows ended up building any ratings momentum, not even breaking the top ten programs aired on the network. The Othersiders and Survive This premiered on Wednesdays, while BrainRush and W.K.'s own Destroy Build Destroy premiered on Saturdays. On July 10, 2009 the network announced that CN Real would be consolidated into one Wednesday night block from July 15th onwards. Due to an overwhelmingly poor reception many shows in the block were prematurely cancelled, except for Dude, What Would Happen? and Destroy Build Destroy.
The block ended in early 2010. Although new live-action shows were produced, the CN Real block, deemed a critical failure, was ultimately dropped.
- The Othersiders (premiered June 17, 2009 and ended October 30, 2009)
- Survive This (premiered June 17, 2009 and ended August 19, 2009)
- BrainRush (premiered June 20, 2009 and ended July 22, 2009)
- Destroy Build Destroy (premiered June 20, 2009)
- Bobb'e Says (premiered August 19, 2009 and ended September 23, 2009)
- Dude, What Would Happen? (premiered August 19, 2009)
- Even if CN Real was the first block to air live-action shows, Out of Jimmy's Head was the first Cartoon Network original series to be made in live-action.
- Also, starting with this block, Cartoon Network has made a updated with the network, changing their logo from white to black, and giving them a rebrand. Also giving Har Har Tharsdays and You Are Here several changes to their bumpers and logos. The only thing that remained the same were the Next Noods credits and bumpers.
- Around this time, there was no Cartoon Network animated series, outside of Ben 10: Alien Force, Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and The Secret Saturdays, as both Foster's Home and Ed, Edd, n Eddy ended in 2009 and only focused on Canadian cartoons, such as Total Drama Action and Johnny Test. It won't be until Adventure Time and Generator Rex made their debuts on April 5, 2010.
- Dude, What Would Happen? and Destroy Bulid Destroy were the only two CN Real shows to air during the Check It era.