June 17, 2009
May 28, 2010
CN Real is a former Cartoon Network programing block featuring live-action reality shows usually on Wednesdays and Saturdays that premiered on June 17, 2009, promoted by rock musician Andrew W.K.. It featured live-action shows such as The Othersiders, Bobb'e Says, Dude, What Would Happen, BrainRush, and Destroy Build Destroy, along with the acquired series Survive This. The block was created so the network could more effectively compete with Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, both of which had a large number of live-action programming.
Network executives and critics expressed concern about alienating Cartoon Network's core audience with this block, which heavily promoted live-action programming over cartoons. The concerns were well-founded, as none of the shows ended up building any ratings momentum, not even breaking the top ten programs aired on the network. The Othersiders and Survive This premiered on Wednesdays, while BrainRush and W.K.'s own Destroy Build Destroy premiered on Saturdays. On July 10, 2009, the network announced that CN Real would be consolidated into one Wednesday night block from July 15th onwards. Due to overwhelmingly poor reception, many shows in the block were prematurely canceled, except for Dude, What Would Happen? and Destroy Build Destroy.
The block ended in early 2010. Although new live-action shows were produced, the CN Real block was ultimately dropped after deeming the block a critical failure. Following this, it was also considered an inappropriate idea for the network as Cartoon Network has since been classified as a cartoon channel.
- The Othersiders (premiered June 17, 2009 and ended October 30, 2009)
- Survive This (premiered June 17, 2009, and ended August 19, 2009)
- BrainRush (premiered June 20, 2009, and ended July 22, 2009)
- Destroy Build Destroy (premiered June 20, 2009)
- Bobb'e Says (premiered August 19, 2009, and ended September 23, 2009)
- Dude, What Would Happen? (premiered August 19, 2009)
- Even if CN Real was the first block to air live-action shows, Big Bag was the first Cartoon Network original series to have live-action hosts.
- Also, starting with this block, Cartoon Network has made an update with the network, changing their logo from white to black, and giving them a mini-rebrand, giving Har Har Tharsdays and You Are Here several changes to their bumpers and logos. The only thing that remained the same was the Next Noods credits and bumpers.
- Around this time, there were no new Cartoon Network animated series outside of Ben 10: Alien Force, Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and The Secret Saturdays, as Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ed, Edd, n Eddy had ended in 2009 and only focused on Canadian cartoons, such as Total Drama Action, 6teen and Johnny Test. It wouldn't be until Adventure Time made its debut on April 5, 2010.
- Dude, What Would Happen? and Destroy Build Destroy were the only two CN Real shows to air during the CHECK it era. Despite this, Cartoon Network would air several other live-action shows during this era, including originals Level Up and Incredible Crew and the acquired series Hole in the Wall, as the live action shows would continue to air until April 2013.